Friday, October 23, 2009

Week 5: Risk

I've enjoyed the add-on quality of each new element - nothing + truth, then desire, etc. But this week - all i did was ask myself what risk I could take today - and so often, I didn't have an answer (more creative brainstorming called for??) I feel like I push my boundaries all the time - so I did have reluctance to increase my risk taking - but I also know it is essential: the more I lean into my fear, the more I can master this skill.

Risk#1: give a man a compliment . OK. I did it. A man with red shoes - quirky and cool shoes. Doing this wasn't such a biggie - but doesn't Martha say it's not about the result it's about the act?

Risk#2 - saying oh h...l with it - instead of being guided by doubt and "good sense" - I applied for a job I don't have the professional equipment to carry out, but told them how much I wanted to do it anyway; and then I applied for a job in NYC, where I've recently imagined myself living at sometime in the future. I guess, really the risk taking is a push into action, rather than remaining inert because of rational doubts - and also a way to practice detaching myself from expecting results and outcome, just engaging in the action itself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I guess, really the risk taking is a push into action, rather than remaining inert because of rational doubts - and also a way to practice detaching myself from expecting results and outcome, just engaging in the action itself." I love how put that... so simple, yet eloquent! Here's to enjoying the journey itself!

Lucy Ladham-Dyment said...

That's the way to do it. Risk it, you may get it. You go girl...

gma said...

Absolutely! Taking risks makes things possible.

Anonymous said...

Amen!!! :-)

Lexington said...

Thank you for sharing your experience with risk. I really love the way you pushed yourself and were thus able to come to some new realizations about risk. Good luck with all your risk taking. I hope you land the job in New York.