Saturday, October 10, 2009

Week 3: Desire


Desire: it started out simple enough: Limonata! fresh flowers! A million dollar bill:)

But at the very core - yearnings- that I try over and over again to attain...other people have them, but they elude me. And I yearn and yearn. And this week, I cried a lot before bed.

What makes a life worth living? Accomplishment? Family? A great marriage? A beautiful home? My answers are simple: to be truly loved by someone I love truly; to be married happily, to have a job where I earn enough to be able to give - preferably give a lot - to good works.

What makes a life worth living? I have enough food to eat, I pay my bills on time, I tune into moments of beauty, I sing in the car, wade in the ocean, laugh at myself, take photographs, smell roses, smile big smiles. These are moments. and choices. and a modus operandi. But without the other things, it never feels quite like a real life.

A beautiful video here - not about desire, but about moments:
http://castroller.com/podcasts/WnycsRadioLab2/1232723

4 comments:

Sherry said...

You raise a good thought here -- we have much to be thankful for and much that we desire is within our grasp...the small things, the easy things...but that skims the surface of our deepest hearts desires. Here is to sending you seeds...to plant so that they may grow into your deepest hearts desires.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put! And precious moments remembered...

Liz Fulcher, The Fragrant Muse said...

Oh yes, we tend to desire THINGS but what would any of it be without those exquisite moments. Thank you for this beautiful post. So glad to have met you!

Jamie Ridler said...

Yearnings can really be painful. They can be constant, aching reminders of that we are hungry and they let us know what we are hungry for. I'm wondering how creativity might open up the possibilities of true love and and prosperity. How do you move towards what you are yearning for? You can do it :)